Back in the day, I was obsessed by The Bill — part of my greater obsession with British television drama. I watched it religiously from the late-80s until about 2001 or 2002 when went off the rails and into soapie land, then I abandoned it.
Last night I watched the final two episodes, courtesy of iView.
If those two episodes were any judge, the writing had got back to its roots: good drama with a reasonable touch of realism.
But I’m left with questions.
- When did they change the music? (The original, used for many years, was if I recall correctly, entitled Overkill)
- When did Jack Meadows switch to uniform?
- When did Smiffy become an Inspector? (In fact I’m not sure I even remember him being a sergeant.)
- What happened to Cryer, Ackland, Carver, Stamp, Hollis? (Actually now I think about it, I think I do remember Cryer’s exit.)
- I don’t remember the Parkview Estate. Is the Jasmine Allen Estate still around?
Maybe I’ll do some reading to satisfy my curiosity, but in any case, the last two episodes, with Meadows’ speech at the end, were a satisfying conclusion to a long-running series.
(It’s not quite over: there’s a Farewell special next Saturday night on ABC1.)