This building looked extra-foreboding last night against the grey sky.
It’s the Bank Of New Zealand Australia building, on the corner of Collins and Queen Streets. BNZA is sounds like ANZ backwards, but it’s actually now part of NAB. The building was once known as A.C.Goode House, the original section of which dates back to 1891.
Joseph Reed, the architect, also designed the State Library (but not the reading room), Trades Hall, Rippon Lea, Melbourne Town Hall, and many other 19th century buildings around Melbourne.