I’m a bit of a Melways nerd. I got a new (2010) edition for my birthday. They’re no fools, the people at Ausway, putting the new edition out in time for Father’s Day (which in Australia is the first Sunday in September).
My 2006 edition will go into the car (where it may get a little beaten up), and the 2002 will be retired.
Looking through the new one, some of the things caught my eye, mainly things that have recently changed, or are marked in even though they haven’t changed yet:
- 358 G7 — Caroline Springs Station proposed
- 48 F10 — Nunawading railway crossing removed, and new station built; this won’t actually happen until January
- 88 J6 — Dingley Freeway under construction
- 183 B11 — South Morang Station proposed (but now it’s actually happening)
- 179 F1 — the mysterious E14 expressway has morphed into Aitken Boulevard
- 103 C7 — Peninsula Link being built — byebye to the amusingly named Pobblebonk Wetland Reserve
- 215 D6 — Cardinia Station proposed
- 203 J11 — Point Cook Station proposed, though I gather it’ll actually be called Williams Landing
- 2E C2 — shows the Wheel (without the bits chopped out of it, as it looks now) and Costco
- 2F B9 — I didn’t know Crown’s western entrance was in fact called the “Western Porte Cochere”
- 2H D11 — weirdarse street numbers in Madden Grove, Burnley
- 2P B4 — tram 3a correctly shown in Fitzroy Street
- tram 48 change to Collins Street, which will happen later in September
At some stage surely they have to re-do the page numbers. It’s such a mess at the moment, with anything outside the original edition’s pages out of whack, sometimes severely.