I’ve lived in my house almost two years. And during that time.. I’ve done bugger all to it. Not that I was planning to do much, but here’s the current list. In my defence, I seem to rarely have any spare time to attack some of these things.
- Find out what kind of bulb goes in the porch light. (One of the two bulbs blew a while back in spectacular and noisy way.)
- Clear out the junk I have that I really don’t need, and get the rest of it into proper storage, eg make use of all those cupboards.
- Get the computers set up properly. One of the spare ones is going back to Marita’s place, and the other is going to become a NAS server.
- Get the shed into some kind of order so more outdoorsy stuff can be kept in it.
- Added 19/8: Fix the peeling paint in the bathtub.
Short to medium term:
- Find energy efficient bulbs for the few fittings left that don’t take the standard ones
- Some kind of bench seat or something for the front porch
- Investigate better insulation (the roof has loose insulation. Not clear if batts would be markedly better. Depends on the R-rating/thickness of the current setup).
- Replace halogen down lights in kitchen with something more energy efficient, and ensure properly protected from insulation and fire risk.
- Get some more powerpoints installed, and generally get the wiring looked over.
- Then get the cabling and powerboards of all my various devices sorted out, so that almost everything can be easily turned off at the wall (off standby, saving power) at night or when going out.
- Replace livingroom light fitting with something with a ceiling fan. (Many of the other lights appear to be original fittings, but that’s more recent.
- Clear junk out of spare room (including creating some storage in the ceiling) and see if it can be turned into a bedroom for Jeremy. (It’s small, but he reckons he won’t mind.)
Medium to long term:
- When hot water service dies, install solar.
- See if there’s space for a greywater tank
- New kitchen? Pah, whatever my sister says, I like it. Ancient oven/stove included.