Things I like about Captain Vegetable (from Sesame Street):
1. I don’t remember this song from when I was a kid. I discovered it when my kids watched Sesame Street.
2. The message! Yeah I’m getting health conscious. Not that it was ever likely to convince any kids.
3. The dodgy rhyming. “My name is Eddie… I love spaghetti…”
4. The strange-looking Captain Vegetable appearing, with Eddie asking “Are you some kind of weirdo?” “Do I look like a weirdo?” Eddie looks at camera and nods.
5. The appallingly catchy tune. In my less self-conscious moments, it gets sung around the house.
6. “Out of his secret garden, somewhere in New Jersey…”
Other favourite Sesame Street songs that I can think of right now:
- Exit (it’s the way, way, way, way out) — can’t find this online
- Monster In The Mirror (the kids love it because The Simpsons are in the celebrity version; apart from Ray Charles and a couple of others, gawd knows who most of the others are though — 90s American TV stars I guess)
- Subway (pokes fun at the crowding and heat)
- Telephone rock (it’s like the Muppets do ELO)
- Cookie Monster as Casey McPhee (“Through, through, through! He got the train through!”)