Every so often I like to bung an update in the diary. It helps the few of you who might be actually interested in finding out about some of the continuing things that go on in my life, as thrilling as it is. So here’s the update:
- Baby Jeremy
is piling on weight. He was five weeks old last week, and had already reached 6 kilograms – 150% of his birth weight.
- The Car is going well. It hasn’t gained 50% of its own weight, but is settling into its new family life well. More importantly, I’m getting plenty of good driving practice, even if the miracle of the internal combustion engine has only reduced my commute time by about a quarter. Even hill starts are a walk in a park. Actually, that’s a pretty inappropriate use of that expression, isn’t it.
- My wife L has started driving lessons, and has been discovering the nuances of driving on the left hand side of the road. Coming from one of those weird countries where they drive on the right, it’s a bit of adjustment for her, but apart from hitting the windscreen wipers when she wants the indicators, it’s apparently causing her no problems. Because she’s held a licence before, she’ll get to go for her driving test next month, and won’t even have to wear P plates! Damn!
- It’s been ages since I’ve felt the need to thump on our neighbour’s door and ask politely for them to turn the TV down to something less than 100 decibels at four o’clock in the morning. Which suits me fine, it’s not one of my favourite hobbies.
- We have got some new neighbours in one of the other flats actually. We introduced ourselves to them – or was it the other way around? They seem pretty nice, anyway. Or at least, the one of them we talked to does.
- The dead possum’s tail is still up there on the power line.
- Someone asked me recently if I was still running. Well that’s the great thing about owning a car, y’see. Instead of going for a morning run, I can just drive around the course. Nah, I still go running every 2ish days, except on days like Friday when I forget to set my alarm clock and get up almost an hour late and have to make a mad dash into the shower just to make it to work on time.
- Last year both of our VCRs broke down, within weeks of one another. Last week, one of them broke down again, and if last year’s performance was anything to go by, it took the tape inside it to that big video tape library in the sky. Lucky it was a tape we owned, and didn’t have anything immeasurably compelling on it. I’m also lucky this is the VCR that is still under extended warranty, so Brashs end up paying for it again. It’s nice to know that just once in a while, it is actually worth coughing up the extra dosh for the extended warranty.
- Actually, the washing machine has also broken down. This has meant rather more visits to the laundromat than usual (the usual frequency of visits being never). This is also under warranty, but the company involved seems to have determined that the vital part is so obscure that they’re sending somebody to darkest Africa to retrieve it. Well, perhaps they’re not, but it seems to be taking just as long, so heck, maybe I’ll ring them tomorrow and suggest that they do.