It is possible to get to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport using standard public transport, using Myki zone 1/2 fares (eg $3.76 adult one way, as at March 2015, plus the once-off $6 cost of buying a reusable Myki card). The trip takes about an hour.
The main route from the City Centre is via Broadmeadows:
Things to remember:
- These services are not as fast or frequent as the premium Skybus service (see below).
- Train frequencies:
- Weekday peak hours about every 10 minutes
- Daytime except Sunday mornings about every 20 minutes
- Evenings (until about midnight) and Sunday mornings about every 30 minutes
- You can catch a Craigieburn train from any City Loop railway station. The trip from the City to Broadmeadows takes about 35 minutes
- Bus 901 runs reasonably frequently, but is not co-ordinated with train times:
- Weekdays every 30 minutes from 5am to 6:30am, every 15 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30pm, every 30 minutes 9:30pm to midnight
- Saturdays every 30 minutes from 6am to midnight
- Sundays every 30 minutes from 8am to 9pm
Official timetables: use the links above, or go to ptv.vic.gov.au or phone 131 638.
Official Journey Planner (use the “More search options” feature to exclude Skybus): ptv.vic.gov.au/journey
Current fares information: PTV
Airport information including flight arrivals/departures information is available on the official airport web site.
Skybus and other premium bus services
Skybus runs frequently from the bus terminal at Southern Cross Station to the airport, taking about 20 minutes (30 during peak times), but charges premium fares.
- Fare: Adults $18. Child $9 one way. Family fares available.
- 4:30am to 6am every 15 minutes
- 6am to midnight every 10 minutes
- Midnight to 1am every 20 minutes
- 1am to 4:30am every half-hour
- All times apply seven days-a-week
- Official web site: skybus.com.au
Other premium bus services: Refer to Melbourne airport web site — most of these are as or more expensive than Skybus, but slower and much less frequent — however they provide a one seat ride to many locations in Melbourne and Victoria, which may be handy if you have a lot of luggage.
Disclaimer: This information is not official, and details may be subject to change. No responsibility is taken for changed or incorrect information on this page. Any corrections can be e-mailed to: danielbowen at gmail dot com
Last updated March 2015