Go on then, name me something more Aussie than kangaroo sausages on the barbecue?
To be honest I haven’t previously been that keen on the kanga bangers when grilled or fried. But BBQ makes everything taste better… right?
Update 4pm. Amusingly given Tony’s comment, I flipped on the TV while I was eating and found Skippy on Gem. The snags were more enjoyable barbecued, though still not my favourite. A shame, since they’re so much healthier (eg virtually zero fat, compared to beef which are 20%+ fat).
Mind you, Macro Meats could do with someone to do a little checking of their packaging. Rogue apostrophes in this day and age.
From the Suz’s Space blog, this is the How Aussie Are You Meme. I’ll leave the “No”s blank. I like that it’s got a nice mix of bush and urban stuff, and some culture in there too.
1. Heard a kookaburra in person. — yep.
2. Slept under the stars. — lain awake yes, slept no.
3. Seen a koala. — yep.
4. Visited Melbourne. — live there.
5. Watched a summer thunderstorm. — yep.
6. Worn a pair of thongs. — yep.
7. Been to Uluru (Ayers Rock)
8. Visited Cape York.
9. Held a snake.
10. Sang along with Khe San. — yep. It’s the defacto national anthem, after all. I also have a memory of being 18 in the back of someone’s car and raucously singing along to Working Class Man.
11. Drank VB. — yep, though I’ve gone off it; IMHO there are nicer brews.
12. Visited Sydney. — yep.
13. Have seen a shark. — only in an aquarium.
14. Have used Aussie (and NZ) slang naturally in a conversation. — you bet mate.
15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian (Aboriginal). — yep.
16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach. — hot chips? Many times though I’m not sure about at the beach.
17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. — yes, walked across.
18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down. — I don’t recall checking under the seat, to be honest.
19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. — yep.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus. — not since 1988 on the train to Brisbane with my sister, but yes.
Continue reading “How Aussie are you?”