Made with KeepCalm-O-Matic
(Disappointed to discover I’m not the first to think of this.)
From the Suz’s Space blog, this is the How Aussie Are You Meme. I’ll leave the “No”s blank. I like that it’s got a nice mix of bush and urban stuff, and some culture in there too.
1. Heard a kookaburra in person. — yep.
2. Slept under the stars. — lain awake yes, slept no.
3. Seen a koala. — yep.
4. Visited Melbourne. — live there.
5. Watched a summer thunderstorm. — yep.
6. Worn a pair of thongs. — yep.
7. Been to Uluru (Ayers Rock)
8. Visited Cape York.
9. Held a snake.
10. Sang along with Khe San. — yep. It’s the defacto national anthem, after all. I also have a memory of being 18 in the back of someone’s car and raucously singing along to Working Class Man.
11. Drank VB. — yep, though I’ve gone off it; IMHO there are nicer brews.
12. Visited Sydney. — yep.
13. Have seen a shark. — only in an aquarium.
14. Have used Aussie (and NZ) slang naturally in a conversation. — you bet mate.
15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian (Aboriginal). — yep.
16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach. — hot chips? Many times though I’m not sure about at the beach.
17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. — yes, walked across.
18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down. — I don’t recall checking under the seat, to be honest.
19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. — yep.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus. — not since 1988 on the train to Brisbane with my sister, but yes.
I’m only doing this ‘cos (a) Rae tagged me (a while back) and (b) I had a smartarse answer for the first question.
The ONE ARTIST Challenge !
Choosing only song names from ONE ARTIST, cleverly answer these questions. Pass it on to 15 people you like and include me. You can’t use the band I used. Try not to repeat a song title. It’s a lot harder than you think!
Pick Your Artist:
Are you a male or female:
I’m a Boy
Helpless Dancer (maybe more hopeless, actually)
How do you feel:
Describe where you currently live:
Tommy’s Holiday Camp
If you could go anywhere, where would you go:
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Your favorite form of transportation:
Your best friend is:
You and your best friends are:
What’s the weather like:
What’s your favorite time:
Blue, Red and Grey
If your life were a tv show, what would it be called:
What is life to you:
One Life’s Enough
Your current relationship:
Who Are You?
What is the best advice you have to give:
Baby, Don’t You Do It
Thought for the Day:
I’ve Had Enough
How I would like to die:
Shakin’ All Over
My soul’s present condition:
I Can’t Explain
Won’t Get Fooled Again
Anybody else care to have a go?
Just a game I thought of: what Doctor Who episode aired on or closest to your birthday?
Check this list to find out.
(I guess those born before 1963 or in the 90s will probably gravitate to one of two episodes…)
If I had the time, I’d whip up an applet to do the hard work for you, but I don’t, sorry.
Sometimes memes are just irritating. For instance that “25 things you may not know about me” one. A few friends have done it. I’m not going to. You already got seven things out of me, and fer chrissake there’s 15 years of blog posts people can read if they want to find more.
What are your middle names?
Mine’s Francis. Hers is Frances. Neat eh?
How long have you been together?
Five years and about nine months.
Who asked whom out?
I asked her out.
How old are each of you?
She just turned 39; I’m still 38, though not for long.
Whose siblings do you see the most?
Probably mine. While my sister lives closer, she’s got more siblings.
Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Did you go to the same school?
We did go to the same university, but different campuses, and never met at the time. Just as well; I doubt she’d have liked me back then.
But separate to how we met, I was at school with her housemate’s brother — in fact I sat next to him throughout Year 8. Which is a bit freaky, really.
Are you from the same home town?
No. She only moved to Melbourne for uni.
Who is smarter?
One of the reasons I like her is because she’s smart — probably smarter than me — though we each have a different focus.
Who is the most sensitive?
Girls are always more sensitive, aren’t they?
Where do you eat out most as a couple?
It would be a toss-up between Saturday lunch at The Nook in Ripponlea, and takeaway pizza from Herbs in Carnegie (the latter being eaten in).
Where is the furthest you two have travelled together as a couple?
Not very far… which is further, Hobart or Canberra?
Who has the craziest exes?
Who has the worst temper?
I think we’re both pretty even tempered. I probably get crankier.
Who does the cooking?
Both, though the most common meal I serve up is a batch of my frozen spag bol.
Who is the neat-freak?
Definitely not me. I agonise on it, but rarely do anything about it.
Who is more stubborn?
Who hogs the bed?
Neither really, though if the doona drifts at all, it tends to drift my way.
Who wakes up earlier?
That’s probably even, though I am not, as a rule, a morning person.
Where was your first date?
The Nova cinema, to see the music documentary “Live Forever“.
Who is more jealous?
How long did it take to get serious?
A few weeks.
Who eats more?
Probably me. I get peckish a lot.
Who does the laundry?
Who’s better with the computer?
I’m the geek.
Who drives when you are together?
Me, as we’re usually in my car, and she doesn’t do Manuals so well.
For those so inclined, here’s a music meme.
Take your iPod, or alternative daggy unfashionable non-Apple MP3 player, or even your music collection on your computer.
Pick a song, maybe one you like at the moment, doesn’t really matter which one.
Using the alphabetic list of songs in your iPod/player/computer, list that song and the following 9 in alphabetical order. What do you get?
What I find interesting about this there’s a good chance you’ll hear (and gain a new appreciation for) artists and/or songs you don’t play very often, and from a range of artists and styles. You may even find the same song by different artists, as well as possibly songs along similar themes, due to the first name in the title being similar.
Who else will have a go? Leave a comment or trackback.
I was tagged by Patrick: Seven things you may or may not know about me.
I’ve been blogging for a while, so you might think there’s nothing left that’s unknown about me, but in reality only a fraction of my life appears on my blog.
That said I may struggle to think of things that I want to reveal but haven’t already, but I’ll have a go. Some things known to my friends but not known to people online are probably the best bet.
1. I’m more untidy than I’d like. Not stupidly untidy, but certainly quite untidy. Stuff at home doesn’t end up where it should, and it seems like a real effort to put it away properly (even assuming it all has a place to go, which is doubtful, particularly for some of my dad’s stuff which is at my place, or the Things I Haven’t Yet Got Around To Putting On Freecycle).
2. I’m less of a geek than I used to be. Other things, such as kids, and politics and activism have intruded. When I bought the XBox, I honestly thought I’d be playing it all the time. I haven’t. I never finished Halo. Perhaps to my surprise, older games that are easier to get into, and the Wii are more my style.
3. But I can find any number of ways to waste time in front of a computer. Facebook, blogs, email, more email, scads more email. Time just disappears.
4. I don’t mind argumentative people, but I do mind argumentative people who either get personal, or don’t put logic into their arguments. You want to convince me? Give me sound, coherent, logical reasoning and you might get somewhere. Persuasion is a journey. You try take someone along with you, and it’s the trip which is more important. You don’t just announce the destination and proclaim “We’re here!”
5. I’ve been almost totally blind in my right eye since birth. 3D glasses don’t work on me, and lack of depth perception means I can’t play badminton.
6. I get anxious about things I probably shouldn’t get anxious about, particularly doing new stuff for the first time.
7. Kinda related, I don’t like making unsolicited phone calls to people I don’t know. (I guess I’d be a terrible telemarketer.) I’m also bad at introducing myself to people.
If anybody else who blogs wants to have a go at posting Seven Things You May Or May Not Know About Me, then feel free — leave a link to your post in the comments.
I was tagged by Clay for an animal meme. Though I suspect these answers won’t be terribly interesting.
An interesting animal I had…
I don’t currently have any pets. In the past it was goldfish and cats, and when I was very young, budgies. The one I had the longest was Sooty the cat, who was around from about the age of 12 until a few years after I left home — we got her as a kitten, to accompany my sister’s cat Mischief (who was later renamed to Eric).
I don’t know if I’d even contemplate arguing that any of them were “interesting”. It’s not like we ever kept elephants or anything.
An interesting animal I ate…
In York in ’98 I tried black pudding for breakfast, which apart from being the basis of a weapon for Lancastrian revolutionaries in The Goodies, is notable for being made of blood. I haven’t had it since, and don’t recall what it actually tasted like, other than that it wasn’t unpleasant.
Other than that, not being overly adventurous with food, I don’t have any good stories like Clay’s live calamari tentacles. Though some of my work colleagues have indulged in eating chicken feet on occasions.
An interesting thing I did with or to an animal…
Eh? Oh. Walking Marita’s dog Maisie? Putting the cat into a pillowcase to get a pill down her throat? I did help herd sheep once.
An interesting animal at a museum…
Does everybody cite dinosaurs for this? The Natural History Museum in London has (or had, in 1999 when I was last there) a memorable animatronic dinosaur exhibit.
I really liked the picture I took of mountain goats at Sydney Zoo.
An interesting animal in its natural habitat…
How about roos in Seymour? Rabbits in Footscray Park? (Does that count as natural habitat?) Squirrels at the Grand Canyon? Cows wandering around Plockton, Scotland? Possums in my roof and bats in my street?
Sorry, but me and animals haven’t really mixed.
Tags? Oh, anybody who wants to jump in, really. I’m sure most will have more interesting answers than me.