Pics from last week

You can tell I don’t have a good blog post ready to go when I post a bunch of pictures. Here’s a few from last week (that you may have seen if you follow me on Twitter).

Mer Chri! — This was on Thursday night — by Friday they’d put up the other letters. Below the picture they’d put in supports earlier in the week — you can see the full set in this picture from last year. They must keep all the letters in a depot somewhere for the rest of the year.
Mer Chri!

Preparing to bring Thursday night’s train chaos into your livingroom — this is Andrew Lund from Channel 9, wired-up and about to report live from Flinders Street Station
It's @andrew_lund hard at work, bringing tonight's chaos to you at home.

The robots are coming! — Alan Kohler always likes a one-liner in his financial graphs.
Eek! @AlanKohler says the robots are coming!

Jack’s having a rest — Jack knows in an open paddock, sometimes the only shade is underneath the ute. Meanwhile, I had to continually pick grass seeds off my socks.
Jack

10 thoughts on “Pics from last week”

roger says:

Actually, your photos are the best part of your blog!
    BTW, I’ve often wondered when a reporter does a live cross during the news and speaks for 2 minutes without looking down at their notes, how do they do it?
    Is someone reading out the script into their earpiece? or is there an autocue set up for them? Or do they memorise the speech? Does anyone know? Thanks

Julian Wearne says:

Jack is a beautiful dog. Kelpie? I used to have a pair of chocolate brown kelpies, brother and sister. Gorgeous dogs, although the boy had a strange temperament.

Daniel says:

@Roger, they certainly get their cues from the earpiece, but I suspect most of them memorise what they need to say, and check their notes if they forget. I’ve also noticed the way they don’t really pause (or use words like “Now…” to lead onto another sentence), so the host back in the studio doesn’t think prematurely that they’ve finished.

@Julian, I don’t know, sorry. I like dogs, but I’m not really a dog person. Will see if I can find out!

enno says:

The Merchri is rising. We are all doooooomed !

Jed says:

Jack the dog looks a bit like Red Dog in the movie with the same name. I really liked this Australian movie. Have you seen it too?

Kath Lockett says:

LOVE the Jack photo – very artistic and he’s a rather handsome chap, isn’t he?

Mer Chri to you!

Russell says:

Ryegrass seeds in socks. It can take an hour to pick them out of socks – simply washing doesn’t work. Better method is to wear gaiters over your boots/socks to stop them getting in.

Liz says:

I was there on the platform with you that very hot Thursday, in fact we bumped into each other at one point but I was too shy to say hi (plus I was sweaty and grumpy and just wanted to be home). Didn’t notice the TV crew…

Daniel says:

@Liz, awww, you shoulda said hello! I get any number of people who I don’t know at all saying hello, so I always welcome someone I actually know (even just by name!)

Liz says:

One day I will work up the nerve to say hi, in the meantime I will continue with the coincidental stalking ;-)