Malawi and Moldova

Something I never noticed until yesterday — in an obscure building in Little Bourke Street are the consulates of Malawi and Moldova. Who knew?

I wonder how many visitors they get. Bet the security isn’t as strict as at the US Embassy, where you have to place virtually all your belongings in a locker before going through metal detectors to get in.

8 thoughts on “Malawi and Moldova”

What about Maldives, Malta and Mauretania?! They ought to be there by rights, too!

roger says:

I thought Moldova was an invention of the guys from The Panel for one of their fake tourist guides. So it realy does exist.
    Thanks, Daniel, for your observations of Melbourne

Marcus W says:

Turns out Molvania is the fake country created by the guys from The Panel – close enough.

Andrew says:

I did not know of them. I am going to write something about how many embassies there are near us.

Kath Lockett says:

….we have Qatar across the road from the apartment building we live in here in Geneva and regularly walk past a host of countries’ embassies.

It’s still a huge puzzle – and a big source of worry – as to why my dog always likes to do a dump in front of the Colombian embassy’s entrance!

Alex says:

They are both honorary-consuls, see and select the country of your choice. I’ve known some honorary-consuls and the positions are keenly sought, although the main job seems to be arranging funerals and visiting sick nationals after road crashes.

Felix Alexander says:

What I do like though is Victoria’s virtual embassy—an agency-general—in London. When I was doing a postal vote in Europe for the Victorian election, the address was for British voters “Victoria House, Melbourne Place, London”. I don’t suppose they do much any more, but considering the states have independent access to the Queen perhaps it makes sense to have someone over there.

Marcus says:

@Alex…that site is strangely fascinating! I’m liking the Mongolian Consulate website that links off it.