From the Suz’s Space blog, this is the How Aussie Are You Meme. I’ll leave the “No”s blank. I like that it’s got a nice mix of bush and urban stuff, and some culture in there too.
1. Heard a kookaburra in person. — yep.
2. Slept under the stars. — lain awake yes, slept no.
3. Seen a koala. — yep.
4. Visited Melbourne. — live there.
5. Watched a summer thunderstorm. — yep.
6. Worn a pair of thongs. — yep.
7. Been to Uluru (Ayers Rock)
8. Visited Cape York.
9. Held a snake.
10. Sang along with Khe San. — yep. It’s the defacto national anthem, after all. I also have a memory of being 18 in the back of someone’s car and raucously singing along to Working Class Man.
11. Drank VB. — yep, though I’ve gone off it; IMHO there are nicer brews.
12. Visited Sydney. — yep.
13. Have seen a shark. — only in an aquarium.
14. Have used Aussie (and NZ) slang naturally in a conversation. — you bet mate.
15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian (Aboriginal). — yep.
16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach. — hot chips? Many times though I’m not sure about at the beach.
17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. — yes, walked across.
18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down. — I don’t recall checking under the seat, to be honest.
19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. — yep.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus. — not since 1988 on the train to Brisbane with my sister, but yes.
21. Been to Sydney’s Mardi Gras
22. Have gone bush-bashing. — not even sure I know what this is.
23. Taken a sickie. — yes, but in the literal sense, actually sick!
24. Been to see a game of Aussie Rules football. — yep, though not in several years now I think about it.
25. Have seen wild camels.
26. Gone skinny dipping. — yes, at Cann River some years ago.
27. Done a Tim Tam Slam. — ho yes.
28. Ridden in a tram in Melbourne. — many times!
29. Been at an ANZAC day Dawn Service. — yep at the Shrine in Melbourne.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. — for sure.
31. Held a wombat.
32. Been on a roadtrip of 800km or more. — yes, though not often.
33. Seen the Great Australian Bight in person.
34. Had a really bad sunburn.
35. Visited an Aboriginal community.
36. Seen a redback spider. — yep.
37. Have watched Paul Hogan. — yep.
38. Seen Blue Poles in person. — yep.
39. Wandered barefoot in the bush/outback. — yep.
40. Eaten Vegemite. — yep.
41. Thrown a boomerang. — yep. I don’t recall if it came back.
42. Seen the Kimberleys.
43. Given a hitch-hiker a lift.
44. Been to Perth.
45. Have tried Lemon, Lime and Bitters. — yep. Not bad.
46. Tried playing a didgeridoo. — tried and failed!
47. Seen dinosaur footprints.
48. Eaten Tim Tams. — yep.
49. Been to Darwin.
50. Touched a kangaroo. — patted, I think, yes, years ago.
51. Visted the Great Barrier Reef.
52. Listened to Kevin Bloody Wilson. — years ago.
53. Killed a Cane Toad.
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
55. Have read and own books by Australian authors. — yep. The last one I read was the excellent Jasper Jones.
56. Visited Adelaide. — yep
57. Know the story behind “Eternity”. — yep.
58. Been camping. — yep
59. Visited Brisbane — yep, though not since 1988 (for Expo!)
60. Been in an outback pub. — If Marlo (population 340) counts.
61. Know what the term “Waltzing Matilda” actually means. — yep.
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Listened to Slim Dusty — not deliberately.
64. Own five or more Australian movies or TV series. — yep.
65. Sang along to Down Under. — heh, yep. (Note: Court decision yesterday)
66. Have stopped specifically to look at an historic marker by the side of the road.
67. Eaten a 4′n’20 pie. — yep. I probably like meat pies rather too much.
68. Surfed at Bondi.
69. Watched the cricket on Boxing Day. — only on TV.
70. Visited Hobart. — yep.
71. Eaten kangaroo. — yep, in bolognaise and in chilli.
72. Seen a quokka. — only in a zoo.
73. Visited Canberra. — yep.
74. Visited rainforests. — yep.
75. Used a Victa lawnmower.
76. Travelled on a tram in Adelaide. — yep, both old and new.
77. Used a Hills hoist. — yep.
78. Visited Kata Tjuta
79. Used native Australian plants in cooking.
80. Visited the snow. — yep, we go every couple of years.
81. Chosen a side in Holden VS Ford. — nope. Who cares?
82. Visited the desert.
83. Been water skiing.
84. Read The Phantom.
85. Visited Parliament House. — yep.
86. Gone spotlighting or pig-shooting.
87. Crossed the Nullarbor.
88. Avoided swimming in areas because of crocodiles.
89. Listened to AC/DC. — yep.
90. Called someone a dag. — haha, yep. And been called one.
91. Voted in a Federal Election. — of course!
92. Have been swimming and stayed between the flags. — yep.
93. Had a possum in your roof. — yep.
94. Visited the outback. — yep.
95. Travelled over corrugated roads. — yep.
96. Hit a kangaroo while driving. — thankfully no, but seen plenty of them jumping around close to the car.
97. Been well outside any mobile phone coverage. — only on the Great Ocean Road.
98. Seen an emu. — only at a zoo.
99. Have woken to the smell of bushfires. — yeah. Not a pleasant thing.
100. Subscribed to RRR. — does PBS FM count?
101. Patted a pure-bred dingo.
102. Seen the Oils live. — how about lots of Paul Kelly?
I make that 58 full points and 10 half-points, so 68 out of 102 overall.
Anybody else care to have a go? Blog it and leave a comment.