- 1970: A flat somewhere in Sydney — for a short time after my birth
- 1971ish: A flat somewhere in St Kilda, around Fitzroy Street
- 1971-3ish: A house (I think) somewhere in South Melbourne
- 1973-4ish: A house in Thornbury, I think in Hutton Street, though I couldn’t swear to it
- 1974-7: 7/62 Hotham Street, East St Kilda [Pictured]
- 1977-81ish: 11/62 Hotham Street, East St Kilda — we upgraded to the first floor
- 1981-82ish: 2/298 Inkerman Road, East St Kilda — apart from the semi-detatched house we rented, we also rented a bungalow at the back, which for a while was home to nothing but my small collection of model trains
- 1982-5ish: 6/23 Pine Avenue, Elwood — this was great, being so close to the beach. I used to regularly get on my bike and ride up and down the beachside bike path.
- 1985-6ish: 1b Staniland Grove, Elsternwick — above a shop. The night was regularly punctuated by passing trams, shop alarms and the lady in the neighbouring flat getting rat-arsed.
- 1987-9ish: 6/27 Beena Avenue, Murrumbeena — right next to the Dandenong line. After about a week we didn’t notice the trains going by, apart from it drowning out the television. In year 11-12 I’d regularly meet up with a bunch of other students on the 7:40am train.
- 1989-1993: My mum’s place in Hampton, though it’s closer to the Hampton East (should be called Moorabbin) shops
- 1993-1995: Power Street, Hawthorn — the first time I moved out of home. From memory the phone number also ended in 1666, which was perhaps just co-incidence, or perhaps by-design, I don’t know. Being right next to the tram stop was handy, and in fact you could hear the city-bound tram coming around the corner, indicating if you wanted to catch it you might need to run up the driveway.
- 1995-2003: Booran Road, Glen Huntly — which was good, apart from being on a main road and having neighbours who occasionally left the TV blaring at night.
- Briefly in 2000: a flat in Waratah Avenue, Glen Huntly
- 2003-2005: Ames Avenue, Carnegie — the old cold house with the huge back yard which took forever to mow
- 2005-: My current place in Bentleigh
Hmm, 16 places (in 38 1/2 years), which is more than I thought it might be.
I know from going past and looking around on Google Streetview that most of them are still there, but many of them have been renovated and look little like they did when I lived there.
How about you?
See also: Commutes of my youth