Smiley in the sky

Spotted a few minutes ago. Apparently it’s Venus and Jupiter, as well as the moon.

Smiley in the sky

Thanks to my mum for pointing it out.

It’s still up there right now, in the western sky, for those in Melbourne.

PS. SMH article (from before the fact)

12 thoughts on “Smiley in the sky”

Andrew says:

Just the direction where I can’t see much sky.

Reuben says:

They’re awful close to the Earth. :)

Jed says:

It is indeed there. I can see it from my front window. Melbourne seems to have less light pollution and more stars visable than many other large cities I have lived in.

Ronnie says:

Wow! I’ve never seen anything like it.
    That’s a good photo you have there as well! Good work on the finding!

Louise says:

aaaawww, cute. It’s still there, quite close to the horizon. Very bright out here in the Yarra Valley.

Frank says:

Thanks Daniel, you’ve answered my question. Saw it tonight and guessed that the brighter one was Venus, but didn’t know what the other one was. Brightened up my night, it did.

Shell says:

Oh man! I started a thread in Flickr at lunchtime letting the Melbourne photo group know this was happening in the hope that someone would take a decent photo of it (my skills are sadly lacking). Many have, but then I come here and you have published the best shot of it I’ve seen tonight!

Looked pretty good tho, didn’t it? Apparently in America it will be a sad face… awwwwwwwwwww!

Dave says:

Unfortunately where I am in Sydney this was a bit of a fizzer as light cloud was covering that part of the sky. A dim glow of the moon was all that was visible through the cloud :(

Great photo Daniel – thanks!

Dina says:

That’s pretty sweet!

Altissima says:

I’m so glad you posted this. I was going to take a pic but forgot to look at it until about 9.40, by which stage it was halfway hidden behind my neighbors roof, and I was too lazy to drag the tripod round.
    I wonder somebody somewhere asked “God if you exist give me a sign” and then looked up to see this!

PlatiNumEuro says:

Did not see it. Nice photo Daniel.

We had nice clear skies in Adelaide and were able to see it as it changed over three nights. Fantastic. Great shot. I had bad luck with my camera.